Monday, December 13, 2010

Baby It's C-C-Cold Outside!

As is normal in this part of the world after a snowstorm, the skies clear and the temperature drops, and keeps dropping! The high today was barely out of the single digits (F), and the lows tonight will be well into negative territory.

I did manage a short hike this morning - the only good thing I can say is that it is easier hiking in snow and ice when it is well below freezing rather than the slushy wet stuff like on Saturday... It was interesting to get a bit of a brain freeze when turning into the wind, and the mustache freezes together from your breath. Ahh, brings back memories from the olden days!

The camera worked fine in the frigid temps, I managed to get a couple shots I liked that I hope convey the cold. The Geminid meteor shower reaches it's peak tonight, though I'm not sure we're going to brave the negative temperatures to do any observing. It is also our last night in the Midwest already, and we'll likely have better things to do tomorrow than recover from lack of sleep!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Geez! I'm up at Kitt Peak for the Geminids - its nearly 4 am and still 55 degrees! Awesome show too. Iowa - below zero and blowing snow! You guys gotta be nuts!